Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Bad News', my favourite, Anybody agree... or disagree??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 22:11

For some reason I've always been concerned about 'Bad News' as one of the best tracks in this album. Strange compressed electric guitar, sounding strangely "oriental", dramatic ambient, rich sound texture, mostly made by synthesisers, and a really short theme, but original, even a bit 'pop' with the delayed clap at the end.

I really like the dark and atmospheric qualities of this track, even when as far as I remember it was not very successfully represented in the movie.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 00:18

I agree it's a great track, but then, I really love the whole album.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 06:01

bad and good news are my favourites :)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 19:14

One of my favourite intros on anything by Mike Oldfield. The clattering percussion a minute in is very atmospheric.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 19:35

Which one do you refer to??

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 07:47

Quote (Delfín @ Aug. 05 2007, 22:11)
For some reason I've always been concerned about 'Bad News' as one of the best tracks in this album. Strange compressed electric guitar, sounding strangely "oriental", dramatic ambient, rich sound texture, mostly made by synthesisers, and a really short theme, but original, even a bit 'pop' with the delayed clap at the end.

I really like the dark and atmospheric qualities of this track, even when as far as I remember it was not very successfully represented in the movie.

I actually thought it sounded a bit too cheery for bad news - but a very nice piece of music.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 12:11

The Killing Fields is in some ways a precursor to Music of the Spheres, as it involves working with an orchestrator and a choir and certain unfamiliar sounds - namely, the oriental percussion. I have always thought it was some of Mike's best ever music but held back from flowing because it is conceived as a sound track and therefore has less flow and coherence. That's a terrific pity as compositionally its fabulous. And the work David Bedford does is outstanding too, the choral and orchestral contributions make this an example of where Mike should have been going many years before... but that's a whole new discussion!

I don't think bad news sounds all that bad, but I agree about the eerie ending!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 16 2008, 13:43

I have tried many times....but I simply just don´t understand this album..other that weird incoherent background soundbits for a movie..
I can´t listen to it...it annoys me, it´s a actually giving me stress whenever I hear something from it..
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 07:03

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ May 16 2008, 13:43)
I have tried many times....but I simply just don´t understand this album..other that weird incoherent background soundbits for a movie..
I can´t listen to it...it annoys me, it´s a actually giving me stress whenever I hear something from it..

I just received the HDCD remaster of this album and I have to agree with Prisoner - Although it starts out quite nicely, it quickly gets on my nerves too - and I had to shut it off because it was disturbing me so much. I don't mean this maliciously, I just don't find most of this album to be pleasurable. Having seen the film, I'm sure it affects how I negatively perceive this album even though some tracks are magnificent. This is one of my least favorite MO albums yet I totally respect it and am happy to have it in my collection...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 08:39

I do like this one but i see exactly what you mean.I've seen the film loads of times and i have it on DVD and i still find it quite harrowing (not surprisingly)and the soundtrack reflects this as it should.It's not comfortable viewing and therefore not comfortable listening.It's one i listen to once every 6 months or so.A ratio much higher than say TMB but not as often as,hmmmm let me see now.....TB. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Aug. 05 2007, 22:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net