Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Art in Heaven CD + DVD set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 18 2008, 06:25

Warner is set to release a new 'sight & sound' CD + DVD set of Mike's Art in Heaven concert from 1999/2000.

The CD contains audio-only versions of all the tracks on the DVD, with the exception of the 'Art in Heaven' track, which isn't included. Some sources claim that the tracks on the CD will be in 5.1, though this would seem a strange choice as it would render it unplayable on systems without a Dolby/DTS decoder (i.e. most stereo systems).

The release is set for June 30th and you can pre order it from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.co.uk.

Dank je wel, Burning Fish.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2008, 07:16

Hi Korgscrew,

Great news !

Do you know who or what are the sources that claim it might be 5.1 please ?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 09:06

The other thread on this topic that was started is now locked, but Alex (raven4x4x) and I were in the middle of a conversation, so I'm copying it over to here:

First, I said this:

I can't believe it! Here, after all this time, is the opportunity to officially release on CD one of Mike's greatest masterpieces - the wonderful wild quarter of an hour that is the 'Berlin 2000/Art in Heaven' music that closed the Millennium show after midnight - and they've edited it out!!!!! It's on the DVD as a piece of film (the 'special feature', track 13) - but not on the CD as an audio track.

I just can't believe it! Why, for pity's sake? Even if they thought the live version was a bit too rough for repeated listening (it isn't, but they might have thought so), a studio version exists that they could have put on the CD instead and thereby offered something really new and worth having. Instead, we get tired retreads of Shadow on the Wall, Moonlight Shadow, etc.

If you hadn't already guessed, I won't be buying this.

Then Alex said this:

I had exactly the same thought as Alan, except the studio version wouldn't do at all. I only listened to it once but it seemed to be the same backing without the guitar, which to me is just about as much use as not having it at all.

And now I'm replying to Alex:

There is less guitar playing on the studio version, though it's not just a backing track - the tension builds up and up, and you have to wait for the amazing piece of guitar playing that eventually provides the release. However, I entirely agree that what's needed here is indeed the live track, and by far the most important - overwhelmingly important - issue, is WHY HAVE THEY MISSED IT OFF THE CD IN THIS SET???
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 11:47

The source of the 5:1 rumour:

http://www.blahdvd.com/blah....5742-1S
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 12:14

The same words are on some US sites (who get it on the 26th !;). I tried to find it on a warners site but to no avail.
We'll just have to wait and see
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 18 2008, 12:57

Art In Heaven (Special Feature) is not on the CD?????
:O

ha ha ha!!!
Its like buying the Tubular bells CD with only part 1...  :/

they must have been smoking something...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 13:48

no art in heaven track, hmm, is this a joke :D

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 14:13

Art in heaven is Art in heaven!!!  :O  :p  :laugh:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 18 2008, 14:25

I'm sure the words about 5.1 are from a press release - it reads like the words of a marketing man with no technical knowledge. They ought to be careful to not cause confusion - if I see something sold as an audio CD, I expect a red book CD that I can play in my CD player, as I imagine would most people here. I can imagine more than a few people not being too happy if they buy the set only to find that the CD is nothing more than unlistenable digital noise (some may describe Mike's newer music as that anyway, but that's not what I mean :P), which is how a DTS CD (which DTS markets as a '5.1 Music Disc' to avoid the exact confusion I'm concerned about here, along with possible trademark disputes with Sony/Philips) sounds if you don't play it through a DTS decoder. It's possible to burn CDs at home with Dolby Digital content, but I can't recall ever seeing it being done commercially - there have been issues with decoders not recognising the CDs (the system hasn't been designed by Dolby to work that way - DTS has).
It could turn out to be an SACD, I suppose, but I doubt it (especially at £4.98 for the whole set), and those aren't technically 5.1 anyway (they have 6 full range channels rather than 5 full range and one reduced bandwidth channel...small difference, insignificant to most). It could also turn out to use Dolby Pro Logic II, but I'm not sure I'd be happy describing that as full 5.1...but then I'm not a marketing man ;)

So I suppose we'll find out what they mean soon enough. I can't help but feel that whatever the truth, people are going to end up disappointed...but then this looks like a cheap way of getting a few more people to buy this material, by offering it at a bargain price, rather than something that's aimed at exciting fans.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 15:01

To be honest i,d rather they re-released The essential,from Knebworth 1980.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 19:24

Quote (hergest fridge @ June 18 2008, 21:01)

Well said!! This is one on my wish list too! The other is a DVD with more video clips of Mike from his Warner years.

I also don't get it why they release this specific concert on audio cd. *sigh* Give the fans something they'd love to see! Like rare material or something.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 20:47

Quote (hergest fridge @ June 18 2008, 17:01)

I'm still waiting for this one.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 22:17

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 19 2008, 02:47)

count me on that  :zzz:  :p
It would be lovely to see a release  :D  really orginal

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Gilles Offline

Posted: June 20 2008, 05:19

Quote (Tubularman @ June 18 2008, 22:17)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 19 2008, 02:47)

count me on that  :zzz:  :p
It would be lovely to see a release  :D  really orginal

Oh, yes, please, the Knebworth festival was a masterpiece and I really hope to see it on a DVD.

I'm sorry but Art in Heaven is not that great and if the end piece is missing...well, who cares ?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 20 2008, 07:33

I recently got my Knebworth video back after nearly 2 years (i moved out of a shared house and the other person moved out and took it by accident)and i have watched it endlessly since.However the quality isn't great as VHS doesn't get close to DVD quality.If they released Exposed and all the other stuff on DVD why not this?Get on with it Virgin!
On the original topic....what's the point of releasing a concert CD and missing off the central peice (except TBH of course)?Everything else we know and it's good to get newer versions of the old stuff but why not Art In Heaven?Are Warners getting as clueless as Virgin? :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 20 2008, 07:35

Sorry i meant TMB not TBH.Don't know why i put TBH..... :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 20 2008, 08:21

Quote (The Caveman @ June 20 2008, 07:35)
Sorry i meant TMB not TBH.Don't know why i put TBH..... :)

TBH I don't care much about TMB, but why not AiH? Whyyy  :/
I know there is TAiH, but it's just not like this one.
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: June 22 2008, 20:07

MIKE LEFT WEA OR WARNER RECORDS BEFORE HIS SECOND 3 ALBUM DEAL WAS UP. AND THIS IS WHY THIS CD IS GETTING ISSUED.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 26 2008, 02:51

I didn't know Mike left WEA early.  I thought his contract expired and he was displeased with their lack of enthusiasm.  Hmmmm, I learn something new everyday.  

I'm quite pleased with the release of an audio CD, though lacking the obvious... since of course the music was written for the AIH group and is probably under their copyright and not under license from WEA.  I wonder, however, if WEA didn't do the same thing as all the fans... merely convert the video into audio using some computer jiggery-pockery.  I will wait to see if it sounds identical to the rips we all made of it 5 years ago.  If it does then I'm not going to waste my money.  I love Mike's music, but not enough to rebuy what I already own.  Those days are gone.  The American economy SUCKS and I live in California where I get raped everytime I fill up my car.  Which, I might add, I do not drive, but maybe twice a week.  I bought a bike.  And YES I KNOW, Europe has been paying extremely unfair gas prices for ages.  However, this countries entire system is failing because of an element... OIL.  Go fig!  Thanks BUSHY!  

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

Back to Oldfield... one thing I dread to think is him retiring.  Mind you MOTS would be an excellent way to end an incredible career in the music industry!  He is a legend!  His music is an inspiration to more people than he will ever know.  However, I'm not prepared to let him retire.  Music needs Mike Oldfield.  It is an Art in Heaven.

DALEKS ARE COMING saturday and we need a BELL to scare them off!  LOL  Actually the Cloester Bell did ring.  It's a warning.  

Cheers,
Chris

PS Don't forget the DAVROS IS COMING saturday.  Hide behind the sofa!
Profile PM 
merlin2k8 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 02:34

When the Art In Heaven VHS and subsequent DVD came out I remember reading the AIH part was being produced by someone else.  I think this is why this part of the concert is not being added to the CD version.  Warner probably didn't want to pay the royalties  for it.  I'm not happy about it either but he, whatch'a gonna do?  I've had a ripped copy of the music from the DVD for years and I still think the AIH piece is one of Mike's strongest compositions.  Too bad he dumbed it down on Tres Lunas.
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 18 2008, 06:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net