Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any opinions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2003, 13:54

Brilliant film and very good album!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 20:33

I've never taken to this album much in the past. Although I liked a lot of the tracks individually, I felt it didn't work as a whole album. It's a short track then a silence, short track, silence etc. Some tracks are just a few seconds long. It was just too fragmented.

But I thought I'd give it another chance after reading the positive comments in this thread. I still think it's too fragmented as it stands. But I did a bit of editing on it to create a single long track. Nothing fancy. Just editing out the silences, chopping a bit off some of the fade outs where necessary to find a good point to join and using a crossfade here and there when nothing else sounded right. And now I really appreciate the album a whole lot more. In fact I would have to say I think it is really wonderful!!

Gandalph.

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 06:00

Sounds like an interesting project you did there. But for some reason I never got the feeling that the album was too fragmented. It's a film soundtrack, after all. I always listened to it as such; I listen, or at least used to listen to quite a lot of film soundtracks.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 07:28

I edited "Evacuation" the way you hear it in the film, with the long intro. I wanted to use it for one of my movies... never made the project though...

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 17 2003, 16:53

Great film and soundtrack,  but tbh I dont think I have played it more than 5 times since I first bought it. its a good soundtrack and I think thats all it is.
I am glad mike didnt go down the path of doing film scores as I think his music can take you else where other than scenes from films.
but dont get me wrong I am sure he could write alot more great movie scores
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 17 2003, 18:22

Yeah, I also don't listen it much... He lately said he doesn't pay any attention to the music in movies... He also likes to be in control, and he doesn't get much satisfaction from making movie scores, so that's why he doesn't make them anymore.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 18:04

tbh m8,, as a big mike fan.
tell me..

u dont listen 2 this album do u??

its a soundtrack

good 1

but thats all it is
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 18:33

I see you are from England but I can't make any sense from what you are saying!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 23 2003, 19:31

Here is a translation "bevy's - English":  :D

"As being a Mike Oldfield fan, tell me honestly, my friend, wether you listen to this album or not. To me, it's just a soundtrack. It is a good one, but still nothing more than a soundtrack."

And I listen to it, actually.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 07:33

Oke then............ :D

I listen to it when I'd feel like listening to it.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 11:55

Not sure whom this question was aimed at, but I, as topic-starter-in-disguise, must state that I do listen to this album!! IMHO it stands up proudly among his other early/mid 80s work. It's great, I love it!! The orchestral parts are just as orchestral film music should be, and the fairlighty pieces are just amazingly dark and scary. It's among his best! Had to say this clearly at last. Still amazes me that this album is so underrated. Just because it's a little different?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 12:03

I just listened to it. Yeah, it's great to hear it again! Always have loved those fairlight pieces!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 22:10

Quote (Music, the ancient language... @ May 23 2003, 19:31)
Here is a translation "bevy's - English":  :D

"As being a Mike Oldfield fan, tell me honestly, my friend, wether you listen to this album or not. To me, it's just a soundtrack. It is a good one, but still nothing more than a soundtrack."

And I listen to it, actually.

n1 m8.. glad u understand,,,its a "sound track" and that is all it is.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:32

the think with most soundtracks is that the music itself in the film is great and without movie is not making such a big impression...Mike's music is definitly worth listening in Movie but on album not always works the same...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 18:16

I liked the Killing Fields . The music certainly enhanced the atmosphere of this film which to me makes it a successful soundtrack album.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 16:44

Evacution is excellent (besides Good News and Etude,which are legendary).The whole album is beautiful,the movie is even more beautiful,one of my favourites.

Many underrate it,I say it is excellent.

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Antoneey Offline

Posted: July 02 2005, 23:04

Capture, by far, is my favourite track on this album, there is just something about it that sends a chill down my spine.
I love that sound it makes, like a rattling against prison cell bars.
Good news is a good track too, along with Bad news...

--------------
''If at first you don't succeed, try and try again''
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 22:06

Wow... I've just finished listening to The Killing Fields all the way through for the first time in I'd say ten years - I'd never bought the CD and just downloaded the album yesterday after finding it on some obscure Russian MP3 site...
I managed to get CD quality files and I'm listening on pretty good headphones and I have to say I'm blown away. It's an incredible mix of superbly arranged orchestral/choral work and extremely fresh sounding electronics. Both the level of musical detail and the atmospheres/tensions built up are astounding...
Favourites are Bad News, the truly epic Pran's Departure, the weird but brilliant Blood Sucking, Good News and of course the full length Etude...
But it's the way the whole album works together as a "musical journey" - of course evoking the movie itself but also, I think, working as a stand alone piece - that has really surprised me. I always thought of it as being an album of few highlights and lots of harsh, almost unlistenable filler. Maybe it's just the headphones or the mood I'm in but tonight the whole thing sounded like a work of unbelievable creativity and power.

To me it's up there with Ommadawn, Incantations, Platinum and Amarok as one of Mike's finest achievements.

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
spartanx15 Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 19:01

I just joined this group because of this thread. Truth to tell this is the first time I have even thought to "confess" to the world outside my mind - I found "The Killing Fields" extremely powerful and the MO arrangements enhanced all of the film.

Now I speak with a somewaht slanted view. I as in Phom Penh when these occured. I did not know Dith Pran or Sydney Schanberg, but knew of them. My posting was somewhat "limited" to certain activities.

The movie captures all the terror and emotions of the times. The horror of what occured is beyond understanding when witnessed in fact. The moive should be used, along with Schindler's List as a constant warning of what depths Man can degrade to when he wants power and considers The People worthless.

There were many times I was concerned for my own life. But to have to stand by and view and know what was going on behind walls without the means or assets to change anything is the horror, each of us who was in Cambodia during this time, must carry with us. I feel we are as guilty and Pol Pot, et. al.

The music is unquestionably my second, all time, favorite, with Incantations being number 1.

I have yet to find an equal to MO. The music that is composed by this Man is a true gift of The Creator, to be used, to bring us all knowledge and appreciation of this Universe. What happens after Life, I do not know. I can only wonder if I will be able to have harmony with all the Oldfield compositions and more.

TH
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 19:17

To Spartanx15 - WOW!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
56 replies since Nov. 15 2000, 07:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net