Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ravel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 15 2015, 15:12

I recently went to a concert where they played some Ravel, and I realized it's not just The Bell and The Boléro that have similarities. 'Ma mère l'oie' reminded me of Incantations (xylophone) and the piano concerto in G reminded me of Amarok (some parts that are jazzy, some parts feel disconnected but not really, some parts feel like quoting something, etc.) Those pieces are not particularly easy listening, it took me several listens to appreciate, but it's so worth the effort. Also, the piano concerto starts with a weird instrument and sound (slap stick), again reminding me of the craziness of Amarok. And some piano parts are super difficult, like some Amarok guitar parts, I heard. The adagio (2nd movement, starts at 9:30) is absolutely beautiful, learning the beginning at the piano (it's technically easy)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNoqzpbc0U
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2015, 19:10

David Porter told me privately on Facebook that Mike picked this adagio as one of his choices in a programme called Strictly Instrumental (BBC Radio 2 1982). It was a small bit around the 5 or 6 min mark.

And here is my take on the beginning (so, before the 5 or 6 min mark - but still I somehow got the connection right!;), with my signature hybrid ambient/wired recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMmZvRb_D8
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2017, 23:49

http://thequietus.com/article....?page=3

Ravel - Piano Concerto in G
Why choose this? Well, it's beautiful. The way it arpeggiates and tumbles around while there is another, slower melody happening: quite remarkable. I tried to use that methodology in some of my music, with varying results. It’s not easy. At the start of Tubular Bells, there's an arpeggio that develops and builds, and this melody starts to work its way around another slower melody. It's a complex technique and it’s one I tried to learn and tried to use to benefit my own music.
Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2017, 05:19

Mike has always enjoyed this piece by Ravel for he has made mention of it a few times over the decades, and I have to say this movement it is one of my favourite pieces of music. It is a trully hauntingly beautiful and a very emotional piece. But I had the misfortune to get kicked out of Mike's facebook group early last year for by the man himself for posting what was meant as a compliment about 'Silhouette' from his 'Music of The Spheres'. At 1:12 a beautiful cascading piano enters, very much like in Ravel's piece, and I dared to make the suggestion that this was maybe a tribute to Ravel and promply got sent to Coventry for it. Maybe he misread it, and thought I was taking the micky, but it was meant as a compliment, but there you have it. Still, I think the whole album 'Music of The Sphere's which he worked on with Karl Jenkins whose music I also enjoy, is ranked as one of his best works.

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2017, 08:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp069jEQag8
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 14:35

None of us live in a complete vacuum, and artists, perhaps, are very sensitive to a range of influences be they conscious or unconscious...and what is wrong with that?  It is possibly the greatest tribute anyone can make - allowing your work to be influenced makes the music stretch into eternity, you will always retain something originally yours...

I think it is the unconscious influences, those we are not fully aware of, that have the most lasting impact somehow - maybe they tap in to a deeper common level of consciousness?

I liked the Quietus article - some of it I knew and some I didn't - interesting all round - thank you for posting...

I need to check Ravel out for sure now - so, so beautiful  ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 15 2015, 15:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net